Wednesday 10 April 2019

Analytical/Critical Reflection


At the beginning of the course, the goal that I had set for myself was to gain the ability to speak and write more confidently. During this course, I had many opportunities to improve my speaking and writing skills. For instance, there were plenty of mini sharing exercises for me to participate in during the lessons and these exercises have allowed me to build up my confidence with presentations too. Apart from that, I also aimed to acquire effective interpersonal communication skills through this course. I managed to achieve this goal as well. I would continue to speak and write in proper English to further improve my communication skills.

One specific focus on the project that I would like to reflect on is the brainstorming stage. During this phase, my team and I encountered several challenges. Firstly, we could not decide on a suitable problem. The moment there was a drawback in the problem that we had identified, we would dismiss the idea and think of a new one. So, we kept changing our problem statement which resulted in a lot of time wastage. After we had finally identified a relevant problem, we then faced difficulties proposing a viable solution. However, we did not give up. We kept researching and ultimately, managed to come up with an innovation for our project, and our team was even selected to present at the Presentation Showcase. From this, I learned that there will always be hurdles in life but, the difficulties I face will make me more determined to achieve my goals and win against all the odds.

The moment I opened Professor Brad's email and read that he wanted my team to share our idea at the Presentation Showcase, I had mixed feelings. I knew that this would be a great opportunity. The thought of presenting to a bigger audience in a larger room almost stopped me. My team was fifth on the presentation list. As I watched the first four teams present, I felt more nervous and anxious. My voice was slightly shaky, and I remember stumbling on a few of my words during my presentation as I was trying too hard to recall my content. However, I felt that I did better than the class presentation as I did not pause and managed to present all my content.

Altogether, effective communication has been a great learning experience for me.


Professor Brad with Team Energy Savers

* Edited on 13/04/2019, 01:09
* Commented on Aufal's, Syahiran's and Jordon's posts

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nurul, after reading your post, I would say that your presentation was the best among the rest of the groups and I observed a huge difference from the mock presentation till the presentation showcase. I am glad that you achieved your goals through this module and overcome yourself to present to a larger group of audience. All the best for the upcoming exams.

    Cheers,
    Syahiran

    ReplyDelete
  3. From watching your presentation you did not look nearly as nervous as you described in this reflection. I admire your ability to present confidently even if you felt anxious while doing so. I hope you have benefited from this course as much as I have, and that you can apply the lessons you've taken away from it to your future efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nurul,

    Thank you for being a great leader to our team. I think you did well at the Presentation Showcase and I am proud of you.

    Well done!

    Cheers,
    Lu Sheng

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nurul,

    Thank you for this comprehensive, detailed reflection, and for your extraordinary effort throughout this term. I really appreciate how much you have done for your project team in terms of leadership, for our tutorial group in terms of being a model of engagement in the lessons, and for your team's contribution to the presentation showcase. You have done very well. Much appreciated!

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for making effective communication an enjoyable yet enriching course. We were blessed to have been placed under your invaluable guidance.

      Best regards,
      Nurul

      Delete